Updated, modern bathrooms, a lovely and spacious kitchen with high-end upgrades, new flooring and beautiful Southern Living-worthy landscaping — sounds pretty awesome, right?
Yep, to you and just about every other house-hunter looking to buy a move-in ready home. While a house that’s perfect in every way just might not be a reality in this market (or in your price range), the team at 901 Properties is here to help you find the (future) home of your dreams.
Real estate inventory is low right now, and so are interest rates. What does that mean for someone looking to buy a move-in ready home? Two things:
- You should be prepared to pay top dollar. Move-in ready homes are hot commodities that everyone wants, so there aren’t usually deals on these properties.
- You need to be ready to move fast. If you’re willing to pay asking price, be prepared to move on it quickly because those houses are selling at lightning speed.
If you are not in a position to pay top dollar or move fast but still want a new-looking, updated home, don’t worry! 901 Properties has a solution. Consider this plan: find a house with “good bones” and make it your dream home. And we can be your guide! There’s a much greater inventory of fixer-upper homes on the market today, meaning you have an amazing opportunity to find a really great house that just needs a bit of tender, loving care to make it the home you’ve been searching for.
We get it, at first glance, when you look at some homes all you see is sledge hammers and dollar signs. But that’s not always the case! We have the experience and expertise to help you find the right kind of home, and we know where the spend the money for the best reno results.
Here’s the thing: aesthetic and cosmetic changes can be a simple, quick and often-times inexpensive way to make a house a home. And many of these can be DIY projects or even done by a professional without breaking the bank. Here are some not-so-scary updates to consider when looking at a home that’s not quite the dream – yet:
- Paint: This is one of the cheapest and easiest ways to freshen up any room. Find colors that make the house feel like you – a cheery kitchen, a soothing master retreat, etc. And a fresh coat of paint can also make the place SMELL like new, covering any lingering odors from the previous owner. Don’t be afraid to paint trim and cabinets to give rooms a brand new look without the cost of actually replacing big-ticket items.
- Kitchen and bathroom hardware: Simply changing out all the handles on your cabinets and drawers can have a big impact. Your kitchen can go from late-90s to in-the-now with the twist of a screwdriver. And don’t underestimate the value of swapping out a faucet or light fixture to boot!
- Landscape: Cleaning up an unkempt yard and adding in some new, fresh bushes and flowers will boost your curb appeal in no time — making you and your neighbors happy. On the flip side, maybe you need to trim a few trees to bring some light into the property. Great curb appeal will not only make the neighborhood look great, but it will also make you happy every time you turn into your driveway, and that’s worth every penny.
- Area rugs: Don’t love those well-loved hardwood floors? Easily transform the room using area rugs. And rugs aren’t just for the family room. Have fun finding lively patterns or cushy shag to warm up your living room, bedrooms and even your dining room. Rugs these days don’t have to cost a fortune — even larger ones can be found online and at home improvement stores at affordable prices.
- Light fixtures: Not a fan of the gothic chandelier over the dining room table or the cherub sconces in the family room? Luckily, you can change the aesthetics AND brighten up a room with one easy swap. You’ll find a huge range of styles and prices at home improvement stores and all over the web. You might even be surprised at just how much a change in lighting can enhance your space and make the room feel more like “you.”
Sounds great, right? Well, when looking at houses that need a little love, there are a few things that should make you pause. Things like foundation issues, knocking down walls or even gutting entire rooms. These types of projects can become incredibly expensive and, of course, a safety concern. Each of these can be navigated, but be prepared with a heftier budget.
Remember, a move-in ready may work for you if you’re willing to pay more and do it quickly. Finding a house with a great layout that needs non-structural updates will cost less and give you the option to wield that design wand to suit your wants and needs. Whichever way you choose to go, we’ll help you find it at 901 Properties.
Here in the Memphis metro area, we do have some inventory for both move-in ready and fixer-upper options. And since we’re all about Memphis here at 901 Properties, we’re all about making sure you make a smart purchase that’s right for you (and your family).
Ready to Buy?
Our talented team of agents at 901 Properties is ready to help you find the fixer-upper or move-in ready house that works for you. Call us today!